Concealed Handgun Permit Requirements: must meet ALL requirements
- be a citizen or a naturalized citizen;
- be twenty-one (21) years of age;
- have attained at least one month's residency (30 days) in Halifax County;
- not suffer from any mental or physical infirmity which would prevent safe handgun handling and operation
- at the time of pickup, provide a valid driver's license or other picture ID with current address provided by the State of North Carolina.
- successfully complete a firearms training and safety course that has been designed by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Standards Commission (See Yellow Pages or a firearms dealer for businesses that provide training).
Please note that as part of the application process, you will authorize the Halifax County Clerk of Superior Court to inform the Sheriff of Halifax County whether or not the clerks’ records contain the record of any involuntary mental commitment proceeding under Article 5 of Chapter 122C of the General Statutes in which you have been named as a respondent. The purpose of this release is to enable the Sheriff to determine your qualification and competence to purchase a concealed weapon permit.
A criminal background check is performed on each applicant before granting the permit. The processing of the concealed carry weapons permit takes much longer than the handgun purchase permit. The Sheriff has forty-five (45) days from the time all application materials, to include receipt of the mental health records, are received to either issue or deny a permit. N.C. General Statute 14-415-15(a).
Anyone interested in applying for a concealed carry weapon permit must make an appointment online using this system. Prior to using this system, make sure you have the following information available.
- NC Driver's license number
- NC Firearms Training Certificate Number (located at the bottom right corner of the certificate)
If you have a Law Enforcement Qualification (N.C.G.S § 14-415.12(A)), you MUST bring the following items with you in order to exempt you from taking the NC Firearms Safety Training Course:
- Firearms Qualification Scores that are within the last 12 months.
- A letter from your superior stating that you are not under any disciplinary action and are eligible to carry your weapon.
- Your law enforcement ID badge
A Concealed Weapon Permit requires a $90.00 non-refundable fee (which includes a $10.00 fingerprint fee) payable online using any major credit or debit card.